Friday, February 3, 2012

More History

The Saturday that we were up in Kansas, Ryan and his dad took a day trip to Missouri to find some Everhart gravestones that Mike had found.

All,
Ryan and I made a trip yesterday to a small cemetery in
St. Clair County, Missouri. It is called the "Good Cemetery" after one of the families buried there, possibly the original land owners. There are only fifteen graves recorded there, but the place was supposedly an Indian burial ground, too (Chucks of limestone for markers),

It sits on a small hill overlooking a cree
k... An ideal location, perhaps, but it has been abandoned, and is becoming overgrown with trees and vines, most of which have thorns... another couple of years and it will be inaccessible.

We located the h
eadstone that was apparently used for three Everhart graves, gg-grandmother Anna (d. 1875), her daughter Hilla (d. 1871), and eldest son, John (d. 1883).

The family appears to have been in St Clair County for 10+ years, but I'm uncertain when gg-grandfather Jacob Ev
erhart left or where he went or where he is buried.


-Mike-
And just for kicks, here is a picture of Ryan and his dad from the mid 90's. I'm sure Ryan will love me for posting this :).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How, how neat, I love historical stuff! I know, I'm a nerd! :)