Monday, December 19, 2011

Are you Santa?

Kaylie has been going back and forth recently about if there really is a Santa. We've gotten through 2 years of her asking and honestly, I refuse to lie to her. We do not go overboard with the Santa thing in our house because I never really want to flat out lie to my kids. We took Kaylie once to see Santa and I think that was about it. Oh I guess a couple of years ago we took Reese but it's certainly not an every year thing and we don't buy the pictures that are terrible and overpriced. We do however, do the Santa gifts on the fireplace and leave cookies and milk for him. Every time Kaylie has asked I just say "Well sweetie, what do you believe?" She gives me the reasons she does or does not believe and I nod my head accordingly. Now, my Kaylie is a huge logical thinker and this year she's been saying "There is no way he could fit down the chimney" so I think the Santa believing days are over. She has been wonderful about not letting the cat of the bag with Reese though. This afternoon I read a letter from a mom to her little girl about Santa and it gave me chills. I know many people are so scared about telling their kids the truth about Santa but honestly it isn't a big deal if you don't make it a big deal. Here is the letter. Merry Christmas everyone and lets all remember the TRUE meaning of this Holiday season!

Dear ___,

You asked a very good question: “Are you Santa?”

I know you’ve wanted the answer to this question for a long time, and I’ve had to give it careful thought to know just what to say.

The answer is no. I am not Santa. There is no one Santa.

I am the person who fills your stockings with presents, though. I also choose and wrap the presents under the tree, the same way my mom did for me, and the same way her mom did for her. (And yes, Daddy helps, too.)

I imagine you will someday do this for your children, and I know you will love seeing them run down the stairs on Christmas morning. You will love seeing them sit under the tree, their small faces lit with Christmas lights.

This won’t make you Santa, though.

Santa is bigger than any person, and his work has gone on longer than any of us have lived. What he does is simple, but it is powerful. He teaches children how to have belief in something they can’t see or touch.

It’s a big job, and it’s an important one. Throughout your life, you will need this capacity to believe: in yourself, in your friends, in your talents and in your family. You’ll also need to believe in things you can’t measure or even hold in your hand. Here, I am talking about love, that great power that will light your life from the inside out, even during its darkest, coldest moments.

Santa is a teacher, and I have been his student, and now you know the secret of how he gets down all those chimneys on Christmas Eve: he has help from all the people whose hearts he’s filled with joy.

With full hearts, people like Daddy and me take our turns helping Santa do a job that would otherwise be impossible.

So, no. I am not Santa. Santa is love and magic and hope and happiness. I’m on his team, and now you are, too.

I love you and I always will.

Mama


1 comment:

Gma said...

Wow, that is a keeper and somethng I will share. Thx, my darling Chell!